Loud Exhaust or Backfiring
Exhaust is Loud or Engine Backfires Loudly
The Symptom: Loud exhaust. There is a loud exhaust noise which may be coming from either the front or rear of the vehicle.
1. Muffler or exhaust pipe worn out.
The Fix: Replace muffler and/or pipes as required.
2. Exhaust manifold cracked or broken.
The Fix: Replace exhaust manifold.
The Symptom: Engine backfires when you press on the gas pedal. The engine runs like garbage. When you step on the gas the engine pops , spits and backfires. Sometimes it’s loud or not so loud. This can cause severe engine damage and/or under hood fire.
1. Your camshaft timing belt or chain may have slipped.
The Fix: Replace timing belt or chain.
2. Your ignition timing needs adjusting.
The Fix: Adjust ignition timing.
3. There is a serious engine problem. You may have a burnt or broken valve, Worn or broken camshaft.
4. Your spark plug wires are placed on the wrong spark plugs.
The Fix: Check firing order and place the wires on the correct spark plugs.